Friday, March 03, 2006

King Kong - or why Peter Jackson is a twisted individual

Okay, Dawn commented on her blog (dawndorathy.blogspot.com) on the movie King Kong, which we had seen together at the buck-75 movie along with Charles and Mark, and so now I feel obligated to share my thoughts on it too, which could probably be best summarized by the word, "AAAAAAHH!!!"

I've vowed not to see any more Peter Jackson movies after seeing King Kong. I liked The Lord of the Rings trilogy for the most part, but I have no desire to ever see it again. I hated the orcs and the big spider and all the icky creatures. Peter Jackson seems to take delight in devoting a lot of screen time to these critters at their most disturbing. Whereas some directors will spend maybe a few seconds too long dwelling on a beautiful landscape shot, Jackson likes to give you a few extra seconds to look at the green ooze drooling out of a rotten orc mouth or to watch as they are hacked to pieces right in front of you.

I thought it was basically the same deal with King Kong. The violence between the dinosaurs and King Kong, and the nasty bugs and bats on Skull Island were all too much for me. I had my eyes closed and head tucked into Mark's shoulder through about half the movie, with Mark saying, "Yeah, you shouldn't look right - OH MY GOD THAT'S GROSS!"

Especially disturbing were the demon-possessed Skull Island natives. They were suspiciously similar to the orcs in LOTR. Jackson spent a lot of screen time on them as they convulsed and drooled and their eyes rolled back in their rotted-teeth heads and they chanted evil curses and such. Again, I had to close my eyes through most of it.

I don't know what Peter Jackson's deal is, but he needs some serious psychiatric help.

And now for my true rant. WHY WAS THIS MOVIE RATED PG-13? I would never recommend a kid to see it, not Catri or anyone under 21. The violence was so disturbing. If you show somebody's rear-end in a movie, it gets an R rating. But a big ape killing a dinosaur by literally ripping its jaws in two gets a PG-13? What the heck?? I guess some people would argue it's "fantasy" violence, but with CGI technology nowadays, it looks pretty darn real and it still really WIGS ME OUT, MAN!

Okay, I'm done.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

I guess I'm just "desensitized". Now, I have to say, the demon-possessed natives, I could have done without, but all of the giant bugs and stuff, they just cracked me up. And the dinosaur getting his jaw ripped open by a giant ape...come on, DM, everyone knows there are no dinosaurs or giant apes running around the planet..but, let's just use our imagination a little... if they were to battle, it would have to have a really gory ending. I guess I'm a "guy" when it comes to movies. I like blood and guts. Romantic comedies I could do without.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home