Thursday, February 09, 2006

Diaper Butt

Being pregnant has been a real adventure for me so far. Especially an adventure in maternity clothes. The most frustrating part has been finding decent maternity pants. Apart from my usual struggle - pregnant or not - of finding pants long enough, the main struggle has been with the phenomenon I call "diaper butt". I don't care what kind of maternity pants they are - the kind that go under the belly, the kind that have a big elastic band going over the belly - no matter what, you walk 3 steps or more, and the waistband is way down on your hips and the crotch is halfway down your thighs. It's so uncomfortable and extremely unattractive. It creates a look like you're wearing diapers under your pants or something. In addition to that, I'm constantly having to do the tacky pulling-up-my-pants maneuver, just as bad, if not worse, than the reaching-in-your-shirt-to-pull-up-your-bra-straps maneuver, which you can usually do a bit more discreetly.
Some people have advised me to just wear maternity dresses or skirts. Which I would be happy to do if it were spring or summer. But it's a bit too chilly for that. Besides, I'm more of a pants person.
One day I might just break down and buy some suspenders. It's the only solution to diaper butt that I can think of right now. If you can think of a better one, please let me know!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you tried overalls? When Midtown was just a church of mostly singles, Angie Little and Elizabeth Sposaro set the trend with their first pregancies.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Donna-Marie said...

Overalls? Ewww. I just can't do it. It's soooo "Farmer Brown" to me.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home