Friday, March 24, 2006

Pee

So Mark and I went to the OB today for my check-up. The protein in my urine was pretty high, and I'm retaining a lot of water, which makes me look and feel very swollen. Turns out these are two symptoms of Preeclampsia, or Pregnancy Induced Hypertension. The only thing missing is the high blood pressure. Still, my midwife was concerned, so she ordered further testing, which basically consists of collecting a big ol' jug o' pee to be tested for protein.

Beginning after midnight on Saturday, I have to collect all my pee for 24 hours in a sterile jug they gave me. The lab guy gave me instructions, saying firmly that the FIRST time I go to pee after midnight on Saturday, I don't collect it. I'm to collect the SECOND pee. And then collect all the pee from then up to midnight on Sunday, PLUS the FIRST pee after midnight that night. Then I stop. He was very concerned that I understand and get it right: SECOND pee after midnight on Saturday night, FIRST pee after midnight on Sunday night.

I don't get it.

Mark and I tried to figure out what the logic was behind this, because after all, isn't 24 hours 24 hours? Why not start at 11:00 PM? Or at 12:03 AM? Isn't it just a randomly chosen beginning and end time?

Anyway, ours is not to question why, and I'd hate to make the lab guy angry.

I also have to keep my jug o' pee in the refrigerator, so everytime I go to the bathroom I'll have to swing by the kitchen first. I guess at night I'll keep it in a cooler in our bathroom.

We decided it would be best if we just stayed home from church on Sunday morning so I wouldn't have to carry my jug with me to church. I mean, we have a pretty laid back and accepting church, but to me there are still boundaries.

I WILL, however, be bringing my jug to Life Group on Sunday night, which will be at the Spoelstras, not at our house. So make room in the fridge, Dawn! I need to put my pee in there!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 words for ya friend - Over Share!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home