Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Sale that Wasn't

Okay, even though I'm still upset and depressed about this whole thing, I think I can write about it now.
I don't want to go over the details blow-by-blow because it's just a long story and doesn't really matter now. Basically, though, the agent and his buyers made an offer on our house and another house at about the same time - unbeknownst to us. I guess they wanted the other house more, but continued negotiations with us, I guess as a "plan B". We had reached a final agreement and were told by the agent that his buyers were good with the price and the closing date and were ready to close the deal. So we assumed it was just a matter of signing the binding agreement. Only the agent delayed getting the paperwork to us. When he finally did, it was all wrong. He said he would fix it and get it to us by Monday afternoon at the latest. By Monday around noon I was really antsy and asked my agent to call their agent. She kept getting his voicemail. I figured he recognized her number and was avoiding her, so I called him. He picked up right away. I asked him what was going on and found out that his buyers had already bought another house. I asked him when he was going to tell us about it, and he said we were on his list of people to call that day.
There's a lot more to the story. The agent had lied to us several times, was wishy-washy about some details, and was basically a big sleazy jerk.
I emailed him on Monday and told him he was unethical, and he replied blaming everything on our agent, who, especially when compared to this guy, is a bright angel of trustworthiness and truth.

I can't tell you how devastated I feel about the whole thing. I feel so betrayed, so taken advantage of. Mark and I had already picked out the house we were going to put an offer on. We were already getting excited about the fact that our house had sold. Their offer on our house came in right at the last minute, just before we withdrew our listing, so there won't be any more offers. (We had agreed only to list our house through the end of January. If it didn't sell by then, we would take it off the market so we wouldn't have to move at the same time Gwennan's due.) We will sell our house eventually, but now it's going to be months before we put it back on the market. In the meantime we have to pay taxes in April and double child support starting in March, something that would not have been as big a deal had our house sold, since we would have been able to re-shuffle finances to make it work. Now we don't know what we'll do.

I know that our hope doesn't lie in houses, or Mark's paycheck, or chariots or whatever. I know that the only thing that truly sustains anything in this universe is the grace and love of God. I know all that. But I'm so angry right now, I just can't stand it. I know I have to let it go or it will eat me alive, and I'm trying, but I think for now I'm just not done being angry yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home