Sunday, January 22, 2006

Rainbows are pretty and it's a Honda Odyssey World

Wow, I haven't posted in 11 days. That's a record for me, especially considering how much I like to post the random occurrences of our life on a regular basis.

Anyway ...

One day last week Mark, Catri, and I were driving home in a rain shower, and Mark noticed that the low position of the sun and the rain should be creating a rainbow behind us. Catri and I looked and sure enough, there was a full rainbow. And not just one, but two! I have to say I was pretty impressed with the way Mark was able to put the circumstances together in his head and - realizing that there are certain scientific laws that work a certain way - concluded there should be a rainbow. Me, it never occurs to me that rainbows are created by laws of nature or whatever. I just see them and think, "Ooh, pretty colors! How did that get there?"
Look, I'm a French major. I can tell you interesting things like the fact that the French movie Mark and I watched last night "Girl from Paris" is not a correct translation of the original French title, "Une Hirondelle a fait le Printemps", which roughly means, "One Sparrow Makes the Spring." But don't ask me about science or math stuff. The earth orbits around the sun? Interesting. The square root of 16 is 4? Wow, you're like a genius or something!
Last week Catri had to write a paper for her science class explaining the rock cycle. I told her I could help and that it goes something like this:
You start with your friends in a garage band, then, if you stick with it and are half-way decent, you get a record contract and get on the radio and start touring. After about 2 or 3 years, things fall apart for various reasons (drugs, greed, disagreements in the band, or maybe the fact that you don't really have any talent after all) and you end up on VH-1's "Where Are They Now?" (Do they still have that show?) In about 20 years, suddenly your music is all big again because of the nostalgia factor, and you start touring again and making gobs of money, despite your arthritis and high blood pressure.
There you go - The Rock Cycle.
Catri told me that's not what she meant and that it had something to do with magma and igneous rocks or something. I just got stuck on the word "magma" and kept saying it over and over like Dr. Evil in the Austin Powers movies. Mag-MAH.

Okay, so the rainbow ...
Mark turned the car around and we pulled into one of those expensive subdivisions being built in Cobb County (where do all these rich people come from?) and I got out and took some pictures. I was able to put them together in a panoramic in Photoshop, and here it is:











Click on it to see it bigger. The second rainbow is fainter and above the brighter one.

Let's see, in other news ...

I went to lunch with my friend Andrea and her 2 year old, Anna, on Friday. Anna entertained us, as 2-year-olds are wont to do, by putting on Mommy's sunglasses and posing for my camera.


















When we left the restaurant, I noticed that Andrea's car, a Honda Odyssey, was parked next to two other Honda Odysseys.














There were an abundance of them in the parking lot (Friday, lunchtime, East Cobb, outside a trendy breakfast/brunch place = stay-at-home mom central) and I have to confess, I WANT ONE. I'm 35, married, pregnant, about to be a stay-at-home mom, and I confess that I want a minivan. And not just any minivan - I want an Odyssey. Don't mock me, all you young singles or newly-marrieds-sans-kids out there - it will happen to you one day too. Plus, have you really seen one of these things? They're sweet. The automatic doors, the extra seats that fold neatly into the back. I often call Mark's Honda Element the Swiss Army Knife of vehicles, and it is, for the outdoorsy type. But the Odyssey - it's the Swiss Army Knife for the mommy type. You want more proof? My friend Erica, who, until recently had a Mercedes station wagon, and whose husband has a Cadillac Escalade and a Mercedes convertible, and who could have any vehicle she wants, sold the station wagon and got an Odyssey. Yes, the Honda minivan won out over the Mercedes station wagon. Now that's saying something.

Okay, finally, on the house front - we got our first offer on the house this week. We were really excited about it until we saw it. They were offering $39,000 less than our asking price. THIRTY-NINE THOUSAND LESS. I still have the red mark on my face from the slap. PLUS, they wanted US to pay closing costs, which means it really would have actually been about $45,000 less than asking price. FORTY-FIVE THOUSAND LESS. I'm sorry, but you just don't do that.
We countered with our bottom-line price, and they came back by saying they would give us a measly $5,000 more than their previous offer. We told our agent to tell them, "No thank you, thanks for playing, and here's the number for a good rehab center to kick that crack addiction you have." SHEESH!

Okay, that's all for now. We have Signorinis and Hunters coming for dinner, and I have to start helping Mark in the kitchen.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

odysseys are the ULTIMATE tailgate machines. seriously. you'll be the hit of gwennan's soccer games. :)
jaimee

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yours is the first blog I've ever been to. I hope I get to laugh as much at any future blogs I visit, as I did at this. You're really funny. Loved the pictures. Thanks for making me smile.
Julie

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home